Quantcast

where is LcsRid defined?

Hao Loi

Does anyone know where is LcsRid symbol defined?  I search the entire folder
under fennel and just can't figure out where is the symbol LcsRid defined.
Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Hao

Re: where is LcsRid defined?

Zelaine Fong
It's defined in fennel/lucidera/colstore/LcsClusterNode.h:

/**
 * Column store rid type
 */
DEFINE_OPAQUE_INTEGER(LcsRid, uint64_t);

DEFINE_OPAQUE_INTEGER is defined in fennel/common/OpaqueInteger.h.  It's basically a macro that allows you to define wrapper classes that provide a way to strong typing primitive integer types.

-- Zelaine

Re: where is LcsRid defined?

Hao Loi
Where is rid first assigned?  In a database book, rid is corresponding to <pageid, slot number>.  How is Luciddb rid different to the text book.  Also, can I assign rid with any unique value rather than a strictly incremental value?

> It's defined in fennel/lucidera/colstore/LcsClusterNode.h:
>
> /**
>  * Column store rid type
>  */
> DEFINE_OPAQUE_INTEGER(LcsRid, uint64_t);
>
> DEFINE_OPAQUE_INTEGER is defined in fennel/common/OpaqueInteger.h.  It's basically a macro that allows you to define wrapper classes that provide a way to strong typing primitive integer types.
>
> -- Zelaine

> Does anyone know where is LcsRid symbol defined?  I search the entire folder
> under fennel and just can't figure out where is the symbol LcsRid defined.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Hao
>
> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)

------- End of Original Message -------

Re: where is LcsRid defined?

Hao Loi wrote:
> Where is rid first assigned?  In a database book, rid is corresponding
> to <pageid, slot number>.  How is Luciddb rid different to the text
> book.  Also, can I assign rid with any unique value rather than a
> strictly incremental value?

The RID is first assigned in LcsClusterAppendExecStream::initLoad.  For
one beyond the last row in the last existing cluster.

Which textbook are you reading, Jim Gray?  :)

LucidDB RID's are logical (mapped to physical locations by the clustered
index and the cluster page headers), whereas row-oriented databases such
as Oracle usually have the kind of physical RID's you are describing.

No, you can't just make up your own RID's; they aren't even explicitly
stored anywhere per row.

Hao, it would be *really* helpful if you could give us a high level
description of what you are trying to accomplish with LucidDB.  Our
answers would be better to targeted questions, and we might be able to
steer you towards the best high-level solution.