luciddb 0.9.2 startup

Michael Moser-2
I unpacked this version in the root user's home directory (I'm just
testing for now) on Debian Lenny, ran the install, and then tried to
start up as per the instructions.

i got the following:
-----
Server personality:  LucidDB
net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDatabase
    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.90)
    at
net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSingleton.pinReference(FarragoDbSingleton.java:100)
    at
net.sf.farrago.server.FarragoAbstractServer.start(FarragoAbstractServer.java:232)
    at com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer.main(LucidDbServer.java:61)
----
(more stuff follows that, listing all the libraries that were consulted)

farrago.jar does live in the /root/luciddb-0.9.2/lib directory, along
with a host of other .jar files.

one thing I noticed was that the classpath.gen file uses ':' as the
separator rather than the ';' documented by java's -classpath option,
but editing the file manually didn't fix the issue.  Instead I got
----
com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer
    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.90)
com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer not found in
gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[],
parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.90)
    at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.90)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.90)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.90)
    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.90)
---

Please forgive me if this has been addressed before.  I searched and
couldn't find a reference to this issue.

Mike

Re: luciddb 0.9.2 startup

ngoodman
Michael,

I think you need to use Sun JDK  instead of OpenJDK/GCJ.

Please install a Sun Java JDK, set your JAVA_HOME to the Sun JDK, do a fresh unzip/install and see if you see the issue again.  My bet is that this will clear it up for you.

Kind Regards,
Nick

On Feb 15, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Michael Moser wrote:

> I unpacked this version in the root user's home directory (I'm just
> testing for now) on Debian Lenny, ran the install, and then tried to
> start up as per the instructions.
>
> i got the following:
> -----
> Server personality:  LucidDB
> net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDatabase
>    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.90)
>    at
> net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSingleton.pinReference(FarragoDbSingleton.java:100)
>    at
> net.sf.farrago.server.FarragoAbstractServer.start(FarragoAbstractServer.java:232)
>    at com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer.main(LucidDbServer.java:61)
> ----
> (more stuff follows that, listing all the libraries that were consulted)
>
> farrago.jar does live in the /root/luciddb-0.9.2/lib directory, along
> with a host of other .jar files.
>
> one thing I noticed was that the classpath.gen file uses ':' as the
> separator rather than the ';' documented by java's -classpath option,
> but editing the file manually didn't fix the issue.  Instead I got
> ----
> com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer
>    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.90)
> com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer not found in
> gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[],
> parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
>    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.90)
>    at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.90)
>    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.90)
>    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.90)
>    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.90)
> ---
>
> Please forgive me if this has been addressed before.  I searched and
> couldn't find a reference to this issue.
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> Mike

Re: luciddb 0.9.2 startup

I'll add this to the FAQ.

JVS

Nicholas Goodman wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I think you need to use Sun JDK  instead of OpenJDK/GCJ.
>
> Please install a Sun Java JDK, set your JAVA_HOME to the Sun JDK, do a fresh unzip/install and see if you see the issue again.  My bet is that this will clear it up for you.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Nick
>
> On Feb 15, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Michael Moser wrote:
>
>> I unpacked this version in the root user's home directory (I'm just
>> testing for now) on Debian Lenny, ran the install, and then tried to
>> start up as per the instructions.
>>
>> i got the following:
>> -----
>> Server personality:  LucidDB
>> net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDatabase
>>    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.90)
>>    at
>> net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSingleton.pinReference(FarragoDbSingleton.java:100)
>>    at
>> net.sf.farrago.server.FarragoAbstractServer.start(FarragoAbstractServer.java:232)
>>    at com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer.main(LucidDbServer.java:61)
>> ----
>> (more stuff follows that, listing all the libraries that were consulted)
>>
>> farrago.jar does live in the /root/luciddb-0.9.2/lib directory, along
>> with a host of other .jar files.
>>
>> one thing I noticed was that the classpath.gen file uses ':' as the
>> separator rather than the ';' documented by java's -classpath option,
>> but editing the file manually didn't fix the issue.  Instead I got
>> ----
>> com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer
>>    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.90)
>> com.lucidera.farrago.LucidDbServer not found in
>> gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[],
>> parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
>>    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.90)
>>    at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.90)
>>    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.90)
>>    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.90)
>>    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.90)
>> ---
>>
>> Please forgive me if this has been addressed before.  I searched and
>> couldn't find a reference to this issue.
>> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Mike

Re: luciddb 0.9.2 startup

Michael Moser-2
Nick -

removing all traces of OpenJDK/GCJ and installing Sun's JDK did solve
the problem.

Many thanks,
Mike