lost schemas after luciddb upgrade.

Marc Berkowitz
I tried to copy the contents of an old version of luciddb to a new version, following the instruction on the eigenwiki page
http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbUpgrade.

There  the last step is to connect to the new server with sqlline and run install/catalog.sql,
Before I do so I can see my user schema listed from the command !tables,
but after running this step my schema has disappeared.
It looks to me that catalog.sql has clobbered the previous sys_root schema.

My old version is version 0.9.3 and my new version is built from //open/dev@14393.

Re: lost schemas after luciddb upgrade.

Kevin Secretan
Hey Marc. The testHarness stuff is indeed a mistake. I thought I fixed that earlier, but I guess not. I recently committed a fix. We'll be merging dy/dev up this week, but if you'd like to try again with this build go ahead: http://build.dynamobi.com/job/build_eigenbase_release/label=lin64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/bootstrap/dist/luciddb-0.9.4RC32.tar.bz2

I wasn't able to reproduce losing schemas or tables. Are you saying some didn't come through from the old version, or did you make some new ones on 0.9.4 before the upgrade that didn't stick around?

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Marc Berkowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just noticed that  luciddb/initsql/createTestHarness.sql  was included in install/catalog.sql (as unpacked from the dist file).
Is this a mistake?

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Marc Berkowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried to copy the contents of an old version of luciddb to a new version, following the instruction on the eigenwiki page
http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbUpgrade.

There  the last step is to connect to the new server with sqlline and run install/catalog.sql,
Before I do so I can see my user schema listed from the command !tables,
but after running this step my schema has disappeared.
It looks to me that catalog.sql has clobbered the previous sys_root schema.

My old version is version 0.9.3 and my new version is built from //open/dev@14393.

Re: lost schemas after luciddb upgrade.

Marc Berkowitz
I mean the tables in my user schema are not listed by !tables after I run install/catalog.sql.
But they did appear just before I ran that script as the last step of the LucidDbUpgrade process.
It seems to be that the upgrade has discarded my 78G of data.

(I have tried this all again, after making small changes to catalog.sql, notably removing create or replace schema ...;
but it did not help.)

[Marc Berkowitz wrote:]
I tried to copy the contents of an old version of luciddb to a new version,
following the instruction on the eigenwiki page
http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbUpgrade.

There  the last step is to connect to the new server with sqlline and run *
install/catalog.sql,
*Before I do so I can see my user schema listed from the command *!tables,
*but after running this step my schema has disappeared.

Re: lost schemas after luciddb upgrade.

Nicholas Goodman
Marc,

Are the tables actually present in the catalog, just not showing in "!tables"?

What does

select * from sys_root.dba_schemas

yield?

Also, what schema did you use?  If it's one of the system schema (SYS_BOOT, SYS_ROOT, etc) objects there would.

Kevin has been testing using the dist build trying to repro your situation.

Nick

On Aug 4, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Marc Berkowitz wrote:

I mean the tables in my user schema are not listed by !tables after I run install/catalog.sql.

Re: lost schemas after luciddb upgrade.

Marc Berkowitz
OK, I have tried the update procedure again, strictly according to the wiki page.
I unpacked the new server, and ran its install/install.sh
Then I exported the catalog metadata from my old server, and copied  it to the new/catalog.
I copied  the (huge) catalog/db.dat from old to new, and I also copied plugin/applib

Then I started the new server and ran sqllineClient; transcript is attached (as lucid-db-UpdateFailed).
First I ran !tables  and select * from sys_root.dba_schemas: good, they show my new schema quokka.
Then I run install/catalog.sql; note that it fails when it hits a reference to a testing function.
At this point my schema quokka has already "disappeared", as show by the 2nd case of !tables.
However the schema is actually in dba_schemas.  A query fails due to lack of privileges, not due to no such table.

So how bad off is my new catalog now? Can I fix it and proceed with confidence?
Or should I keep on using my older database?

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Nicholas Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Marc,

Are the tables actually present in the catalog, just not showing in "!tables"?

What does

select * from sys_root.dba_schemas

yield?

Also, what schema did you use?  If it's one of the system schema (SYS_BOOT, SYS_ROOT, etc) objects there would.

Kevin has been testing using the dist build trying to repro your situation.

Nick

On Aug 4, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Marc Berkowitz wrote:

I mean the tables in my user schema are not listed by !tables after I run install/catalog.sql.

lucid-db-UpdateFailed (199K) Download Attachment