SuperUser

rails.info info
Hello everyone,

How do you create a superuser for LucidDB. I've tried looking at http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbGrant , but I'm not able to figure it out.

Any Suggestions ?

Re: SuperUser

rails.info info
so, no update on this yet ?

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM, rails.info info <rails.info@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

How do you create a superuser for LucidDB. I've tried looking at http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbGrant , but I'm not able to figure it out.

Any Suggestions ?

Re: SuperUser

ngoodman
On May 8, 2011, at 4:47 AM, rails.info info wrote:

so, no update on this yet ?
Dear Rails,

Your parents, Mr and Mrs Info certainly arrived at an interesting given name for you.  :)  The list is a volunteer group; one can't expect people who generously give their time/advice/code away for free to respond to every request on your timeline.  People tend to respond to questions that interest them.

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM, rails.info info <rails.info@gmail.com> wrote:
How do you create a superuser for LucidDB. I've tried looking at http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbGrant , but I'm not able to figure it out.

Some of this is incomplete, as noted on the http://www.luciddb.org/roadmap.html page.  "security features incomplete" is, however, not a great description of the state of it.  Here's some more info:

As of 0.9.3 (which is the latest GA release) there is not a way to "enable a role" via the SQL standard syntax.  Much of that work has been completed in 0.9.4 (which is now just entering release candidate phase).  So, in 0.9.3 all of our system views/procedures are granted to a role, DBA.  There is not, however a way to allow another user to enable that DBA role and gain access to the privileges of that role.  As an administrator, this seems pretty lame I'm sure.

In short, in 0.9.3, if you want to give a user Admin privileges you need to use the existing super user (sa) and grant the new user all privs on all the admin objects (kill_session, etc).  In 0.9.4, a user can simply execute "set role DBA" if they've been granted that role and get those privileges.

Not, I'm betting, the answer anyone wants to hear (including the LucidDB devs).  However, 0.9.4 is coming and does improve this substantially!

Nick
PS - BTW, John V. Sichi was the primary developer who did most of this work!  Even though he's departed the project and is no longer actively contributing it's definitely worth thanking him for this work prior to his departure!

Re: SuperUser

rails.info info
Dear Nicholas,

I know, right, but it's an awesome name ;-)

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to reply.

I must say though that it appears that LucidDB is still in an experimental phase. (Don't take this the wrong way :P )