Quantcast

Skewed Timestamp

Jeremy Lemaire
This post was updated on .
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John V. Sichi <jsichi@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: Authorization requested
To: jeremy.m.lemaire@gmail.com

Hi,

Please post your question by sending it to luciddb-users@lists.sf.net.
Nabble is just a read-only archive of that list.

JVS

Nabble wrote:

> Dear John Sichi,
>
> haawker requested authorization to join your
> "luciddb-users" forum.
>
> * Explanation from this user:
> I have not found a topic suitable for posting a question regarding "Skewed
> Timestamps" so I am requesting permission to post a new topic.  Here is the
> problem:
>
> When creating a timestamp the value is offset by one hour.  I am guessing
> it is a DST issue but I verified that Java and Linux are both returning the
> correct values.  Does LucidDb have a built in setting for TZ or DST that I
> need to adjust?
>
> Here is an example of the skewed timestamp:
>
> values( timestamp '2010-03-30 08:39:02.0' );
> yields: 2010-03-30 07:39:02.0
>
> * User e-mail:
> jeremy.m.lemaire@gmail.com
>
> * User profile:
> http://n2.nabble.com/user/UserNodes.jtp?user=478852
>
> * Click on the following link to ACCEPT this request:
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/user/Unauthorized$Authorize.jtp?code=amVyZW15Lm0ubGVtYWlyZUBnbWFpbC5jb218MTM3NDU5MHx5fDEwNTI1ODMwNTE=
>
> * Click on the following link to DECLINE this request:
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/user/Unauthorized$Authorize.jtp?code=amVyZW15Lm0ubGVtYWlyZUBnbWFpbC5jb218MTM3NDU5MHxufDEwNTI1ODMwNTE=
>
> You can also ignore this email if you want to silently ignore this request.
> Free forum powered by Nabble
> http://n2.nabble.com

Re: Fwd: Authorization requested

Jeremy Lemaire wrote:
>     When creating a timestamp the value is offset by one hour.  I am
>     guessing it is a DST issue but I verified that Java and Linux are
>     both returning the correct values.  Does LucidDb have a built in
>     setting for TZ or DST that I need to adjust?
>
>     Here is an example of the skewed timestamp:
>
>     values( timestamp '2010-03-30 08:39:02.0' );
>     yields: 2010-03-30 07:39:02.0

Are your server and client in different timezones?  If so, this is
expected behavior.  Here's a discussion from the PostgreSQL mailing list:

http://old.nabble.com/Timestamp-without-Timezone-and-differing-client---server-tzs-td18333479.html

LucidDB's TIMESTAMP type is a standard "timestamp without timezone"; a
JDBC client such as sqlline will render it in the client timezone.  If
you want to prevent that, CAST it to VARCHAR on the server before
retrieving it.

You can set -Duser.timezone="Australia/Sydney" when starting a JVM to
control the timezone.