San Francisco LucidDB / Eigenbase meetup Sept 1

San Francisco LucidDB / Eigenbase meetup Sept 1

ngoodman
For those of you in the Bay Area, we cordially invite you to an informal, but certainly fun and informative meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Eigenbase-Developers/calendar/14311008/

SQLstream has graciously volunteered their offices in downtown SFO as a venue for the 9/1 meetup.  We'll convene at their offices from 4:30 to 6:30 and the revelry can spill out to some local pubs / restaurants.

The meetup will:
 - feature informal presentations and discussions on a variety of developer topics.  This show'n'tell format allows developers to share some of the cool stuff they've been working on this year. (full topics on meetup.com)
 - include free beer and wine (courtesy of DynamoBI)
 - present an opportunity to put faces with names from the various email lists
 - unveil the new LucidDB animal mascot! :)
 - present an opportunity to discuss future collaborations, ideas, and events
 - give former colleagues (LucidEra alumni?) a chance to get caught up

If you're in the area, we'd love for you to attend; LucidDB users, Eigenbase developers, and former LucidEra employees are all welcome.

Please RSVP on meetup.com.  Any questions don't hesitate to email me!  Looking forward to seeing you all!

Kind Regards,

Re: San Francisco LucidDB / Eigenbase meetup Sept 1

Andrew Marlow
I won't be coming; I am in the UK and just can't make it. I am a lurker on this group. But I thought I would take the opportunity to ask if someone can raise the issue of LucidDB on Solaris during this meeting.

A little while ago I worked on a project that chose LucidDB for its column store, rather than Sybase IQ. We were pleased with Lucid, it does what is required, etc, but it is only available on Windoze or Linux. We were developing on Linux but deploying to Solaris. So this put a bit of a spanner in the works. In the end we just had to say "look guys, you will have to deploy this bit that uses Lucid on linux machines".

I was wondering if anyone else ever brings this up. Or if anyone would be willing to look into a porting effort.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Nicholas Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew M.
http://www.andrewpetermarlow.co.uk

On Aug 5, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Andrew Marlow wrote:

A little while ago I worked on a project that chose LucidDB for its column store, rather than Sybase IQ. We were pleased with Lucid, it does what is required, etc, but it is only available on Windoze or Linux. We were
Well, it's good to hear that LucidDB fit the bill and you guys were happy with it.

I was wondering if anyone else ever brings this up. Or if anyone would be willing to look into a porting effort.
Solaris support is a good suggestion; I've added a task to get the native libraries LucidDB is based upon (Fennel) ported to Solaris.  Please vote for it, or, if you have development resources you could spare for it I'm sure that we could help the porting effort.

Couple of notes/Q's
- We don't have solaris lying around.  However, using OpenSolaris on Amazon EC2 could be a method for multiple people to work on a porting effort.  Is OpenSolaris close enough to Solaris that it's worthwhile to do it this way or are they different enough it's only useful on Solaris.  Are there different solaris archs (sparc, x64, etc)?
- We have limited resources (like all community open source projects).  We're still seeing the vast majority of people going Linux, Windows (32/64) with OSX as a dev platform.  The more votes (on Jira case) and people like Andrew voicing their desire for Solaris the more likely it can percolate up.  Users are king around here!  :)

Nick

[...]

Long long ago, I had Fennel running on Solaris (back when sourceforge
had compile farm machines), so I suspect it won't be a big job to get it
running again.

JVS