Running lucidDbServer in the background

Oded Peer
Hi,

I have only basic Linux knowledge so this might seem trivial, but I need to know how to run the lucidDbServer process in the background.
When I try to run the process in the background I get "[1]+ Stopped(SIGTTIN) ./lucidDbServer" and the process does not respond to client requests until I put it back in the foreground.
I understand it happens due to the interactive console, reading from stdin.
I saw it happens in runConsole() in http://p4webhost.eigenbase.org:8080/@md=d&cd=//open/lu/dev/farrago/src/net/sf/farrago/server/&cdf=//open/lu/dev/farrago/src/net/sf/farrago/server/FarragoAbstractServer.java&sr=12461&pgc=y@//open/lu/dev/farrago/src/net/sf/farrago/server/FarragoAbstractServer.java so I managed to run it using "./lucidDbServer < /dev/null &".
This work around is not great since I can't stop the server using the "!quit" command, only killing it.
I know that HSQLDB have a special command that causes the DB to exit and can be issued by clients, does LucidDB have a similar concept?
What is the best practice in this case?

Thanks,
Oded

Re: [luciddb-users] Running lucidDbServer in the background

Francisco Reyes-3
oded peer writes:

> I have only basic Linux knowledge so this might seem trivial, but I need
> to know how to run the lucidDbServer process in the background.

There is likely a better way, but in the mean time.. you could use "screen"
to run the server. This is what I am doing right now myself.

I think there was a thread on how to run the server as a daemon. If I find
it I will send it to you.

Re: [luciddb-users] Running lucidDbServer in the background

ngoodman

On Jan 25, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> oded peer writes:
>
>> I have only basic Linux knowledge so this might seem trivial, but I need
>> to know how to run the lucidDbServer process in the background.
>

> There is likely a better way, but in the mean time.. you could use "screen"
> to run the server. This is what I am doing right now myself.
>
> I think there was a thread on how to run the server as a daemon. If I find
> it I will send it to you.

We have a variety of tasks to improve upon the server management.  In particular, we plan to provide init.d style starts/stops along with a system shutdown procedure:
http://jira.eigenbase.org/browse/FRG-381

As Francisco points out, the best current method is to use SCREEN.

Re: [luciddb-users] Running lucidDbServer in the background

Tom Barber
I setup an init script with Java Service Wrapper, worked well.