PG/MySQL protocol support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
OG
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

PG/MySQL protocol support

OG
Hello,

I think I saw implicit mentions of this somewhere (ML archives, perhaps), but I can't find this on the Wiki now.

Does LucidDB speak "OG protocol" and/or "MySQL protocol", so that any tool that knows how to talk to PG or MySQL can also transparently talk to LucidDB?

Thanks,
Otis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PG/MySQL protocol support

Alex Mekhrishvili
Hi Otis,

You should definitely try PostgreSQL to LucidDB bridge - I guess this is what you're searching for:

Although it's still beta version and not a part of LucidDB package, you can start playing with that. Let me know in case of any issues / problems.

Regards,
Alexander


On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM, OG <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I think I saw implicit mentions of this somewhere (ML archives, perhaps), but I can't find this on the Wiki now.

Does LucidDB speak "OG protocol" and/or "MySQL protocol", so that any tool that knows how to talk to PG or MySQL can also transparently talk to LucidDB?

Thanks,
Otis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
OG
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PG/MySQL protocol support

OG
Aha, indeed, that is what I saw, thanks.

Do you know if there is an equivalent for MySQL?

Fixes for http://code.google.com/p/pg2luciddb/ :
"and that's why can be" ==> and that's why it can be
"make it's possible" ==> make it possible

Otis


From: Alexander Mekhrishvili <[hidden email]>
To: OG <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Sent: Thu, December 17, 2009 6:55:25 AM
Subject: Re: [luciddb-users] PG/MySQL protocol support

Hi Otis,

You should definitely try PostgreSQL to LucidDB bridge - I guess this is what you're searching for:

Although it's still beta version and not a part of LucidDB package, you can start playing with that. Let me know in case of any issues / problems.

Regards,
Alexander


On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM, OG <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I think I saw implicit mentions of this somewhere (ML archives, perhaps), but I can't find this on the Wiki now.

Does LucidDB speak "OG protocol" and/or "MySQL protocol", so that any tool that knows how to talk to PG or MySQL can also transparently talk to LucidDB?

Thanks,
Otis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PG/MySQL protocol support

Alex Mekhrishvili
Nope, no plans for that due to huge differences in supported SQL subset & syntax
between LucidDB and MySQL. 

Alexander

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM, OG <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aha, indeed, that is what I saw, thanks.

Do you know if there is an equivalent for MySQL?

Fixes for http://code.google.com/p/pg2luciddb/ :
"and that's why can be" ==> and that's why it can be
"make it's possible" ==> make it possible

Otis


From: Alexander Mekhrishvili <[hidden email]>
To: OG <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Sent: Thu, December 17, 2009 6:55:25 AM
Subject: Re: [luciddb-users] PG/MySQL protocol support

Hi Otis,

You should definitely try PostgreSQL to LucidDB bridge - I guess this is what you're searching for:

Although it's still beta version and not a part of LucidDB package, you can start playing with that. Let me know in case of any issues / problems.

Regards,
Alexander


On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM, OG <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I think I saw implicit mentions of this somewhere (ML archives, perhaps), but I can't find this on the Wiki now.

Does LucidDB speak "OG protocol" and/or "MySQL protocol", so that any tool that knows how to talk to PG or MySQL can also transparently talk to LucidDB?

Thanks,
Otis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

LucidDb as a service(needs Wikifying)

Tom Barber
In reply to this post by OG
So many people have asked over the last 12 months or so how to run
LucidDB as a service on Linux and Windows. Here's a basic solution I've
hacked together that will allow you to do so, I would like to point out
that I don't really consider this truly complete, many other things
could be done to make it nicer, but its a good start.


Firstly, obviously you need a working install of LucidDB from
http://www.luciddb.org/


Next we need to grab a copy of Java Service Wrapper, there are many
different versions so make sure you grab on for the correct architecture
you are running Lucid on, you can download it here:
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/download.jsp.


Unzip it somewhere, this place we will now called {WRAPPER_HOME} and we
will call the location of your Lucid installation {LUCID_HOME}.


Firstly you need to copy {WRAPPER_HOME}/bin/wrapper and
{WRAPPER_HOME}/src/bin/sh.script.in to {LUCID_HOME}/bin/


Next rename the sh.script.in file to lucidDb, this will become the
executable for the LucidDb server.


Edit the script using your favourite text editor and edit App Name and
App Long Name to useful names like LucidDb and LucidDb Database Server.


Next we need to copy {WRAPPER_HOME}/lib/libwrapper.so and
{WRAPPER_HOME]/lib/wrapper.jar to {LUCID_HOME}/lib/


Now we need to create a {LUCID_HOME}/conf directory for the JSW
configuration file, and then copy into it
{WRAPPER_HOME}/src/conf/wrapper.conf.in. Rename it wrapper.conf.


Also we need a logging directory so you can either change the script or
create {LUCID_HOME}/logs. I create the directory to keep my JSW logs
away from LucidDb's own logging.


Lastly we need to edit wrapper.conf, what you need will change depending
on your own setup but I basically extracted the command run when you
launch LucidDb and put the various components into my script. As its not
particularly pleasing to look at, I've attached it to this tutorial
rather than copying the contents into here.


And once all that is setup you should be good to go, so to test this
run ./lucidDb console. This should start up LucidDb running in a JSW
console. Assuming everything has launched OK do a !quit

and the ./lucidDb start this should start LucidDb running in the
background. Use Squirrel or similar to make sure you can connect to it.
If everything starts up ok, you just need to add the lucidDb script to
you computers init scripts, which varies from setup to setup, so check
out the JSW website.


I hope this works ok for you guys and you find it useful to run LucidDb
in a more automated fashion.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Planet: dedicated and managed hosting, cloud storage, colocation
Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the business
Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term contracts
Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call away.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users

wrapper.conf (8K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LucidDb as a service(needs Wikifying)

John Sichi
Administrator
Thanks Tom, I've linked this from the wiki here:

http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbAsDaemonService

If anyone wants to wikify, just replace the link with the wikified text.

JVS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Planet: dedicated and managed hosting, cloud storage, colocation
Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the business
Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term contracts
Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call away.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LucidDb as a service(needs Wikifying)

ledion
Here is a simpler way to run luciddb as a daemon.

(1) create a script called  $LUCIDDB_HOME/bin/lucidDbServerDaemon with the following content:

#!/bin/sh

BIN_DIR=$(cd `dirname $0`; pwd)
. $BIN_DIR/defineFarragoRuntime.sh


# 1. close stdin - LucidDbServer it will interpet it as "run in daemon mode"
# 2. run LucidDbServer in the background thus making it a real daemon
${JAVA_EXEC} ${JAVA_ARGS} org.luciddb.session.LucidDbServer 0<&-, <&- &


(2) start the server in daemon mode as follows:
$LUCIDDB_HOME/bin/lucidDbServerDaemon

(3) to stop luciddb server run: kill <luciddb pid>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LucidDb as a service(needs Wikifying)

John Sichi
Administrator
Gotta love command lines that look like chat full of emoticons.

I gave it a try, and it works, but if I don't exit the shell fast
enough, I get all kinds of "Unknown server command:  <junk binary
characters" spewing out on console.

JVS

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:17 PM, ledion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a simpler way to run luciddb as a daemon.
>
> (1) create a script called  $LUCIDDB_HOME/bin/lucidDbServerDaemon with the
> following content:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> BIN_DIR=$(cd `dirname $0`; pwd)
> . $BIN_DIR/defineFarragoRuntime.sh
>
>
> # 1. close stdin - LucidDbServer it will interpet it as "run in daemon mode"
> # 2. run LucidDbServer in the background thus making it a real daemon
> ${JAVA_EXEC} ${JAVA_ARGS} org.luciddb.session.LucidDbServer 0<&-, <&- &
>
>
> (2) start the server in daemon mode as follows:
> $LUCIDDB_HOME/bin/lucidDbServerDaemon
>
> (3) to stop luciddb server run: kill
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://luciddb-users.1374590.n2.nabble.com/PG-MySQL-protocol-support-tp4180819p6093725.html
> Sent from the luciddb-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> What You Don't Know About Data Connectivity CAN Hurt You
> This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details
> its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative
> solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d
> _______________________________________________
> luciddb-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What You Don't Know About Data Connectivity CAN Hurt You
This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details
its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative
solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LucidDb as a service(needs Wikifying)

Ledion Bitincka
Hmm, interesting! I don't get that - what OS/shell are you using?

Can you give this a shot?

#!/bin/sh
BIN_DIR=$(cd `dirname $0`; pwd)
. $BIN_DIR/defineFarragoRuntime.sh

# 1. close stdin - LucidDbServer will interpet it as "run in daemon mode"
# 2. run LucidDbServer in the background thus making it a real daemon
${JAVA_EXEC} ${JAVA_ARGS} org.luciddb.session.LucidDbServer < /dev/null &


Basically, all we need to do to get LucidDbServer in daemon mode is close stdin

---
Ledion Bitincka
[hidden email] | Director of Engineering, Southern California Regional Operations
Splunk > Get your IT together
________________________________________
From: John Sichi [[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 11:05 PM
To: Mailing list for users of LucidDB
Cc: ledion
Subject: Re: [luciddb-users] LucidDb as a service(needs Wikifying)

Gotta love command lines that look like chat full of emoticons.

I gave it a try, and it works, but if I don't exit the shell fast
enough, I get all kinds of "Unknown server command:  <junk binary
characters" spewing out on console.

JVS

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:17 PM, ledion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a simpler way to run luciddb as a daemon.
>
> (1) create a script called  $LUCIDDB_HOME/bin/lucidDbServerDaemon with the
> following content:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> BIN_DIR=$(cd `dirname $0`; pwd)
> . $BIN_DIR/defineFarragoRuntime.sh
>
>
> # 1. close stdin - LucidDbServer it will interpet it as "run in daemon mode"
> # 2. run LucidDbServer in the background thus making it a real daemon
> ${JAVA_EXEC} ${JAVA_ARGS} org.luciddb.session.LucidDbServer 0<&-, <&- &
>
>
> (2) start the server in daemon mode as follows:
> $LUCIDDB_HOME/bin/lucidDbServerDaemon
>
> (3) to stop luciddb server run: kill
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://luciddb-users.1374590.n2.nabble.com/PG-MySQL-protocol-support-tp4180819p6093725.html
> Sent from the luciddb-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> What You Don't Know About Data Connectivity CAN Hurt You
> This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details
> its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative
> solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d
> _______________________________________________
> luciddb-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What You Don't Know About Data Connectivity CAN Hurt You
This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details
its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative
solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d
_______________________________________________
luciddb-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luciddb-users
Loading...