Quantcast

Move db.dat

a_n_d_r_e_a
Hi all,
I have to set up a new database, it is possible to "move" db.dat in an other folder? or in an other disk?
Thanks Andrea

Re: Move db.dat

ngoodman
On May 26, 2011, at 5:21 AM, a_n_d_r_e_a wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have to set up a new database, it is possible to "move" db.dat in an other
> folder? or in an other disk?

Unfortunately the location of the db.dat is fixed inside the catalog/ dir of a LucidDB installation.  However, I recall that doing a symbolic link on the file is sufficient.  So, as long as your not using Windoze you can

1) shutdown LucidDB
2) mv db.dat /newlocation/db.dat
3) ln -s /newlocation/db.dat
4) Startup LucidDB.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this in a while; let us know if there's any issues with it.

Often (and I have no idea if this is the case for you) the db.dat is well beyond the size it actually should be due to unused and "yet to be deallocated" pages sitting around.  Make sure you keep doing "alter system deallocate old" regularly.

Re: Move db.dat

mattcasters
I can confirm that a symbolic link works not just for db.dat but for the complete catalog folder as well.

HTH,
Matt

2011/5/26 Nicholas Goodman <[hidden email]>
On May 26, 2011, at 5:21 AM, a_n_d_r_e_a wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have to set up a new database, it is possible to "move" db.dat in an other
> folder? or in an other disk?

Unfortunately the location of the db.dat is fixed inside the catalog/ dir of a LucidDB installation.  However, I recall that doing a symbolic link on the file is sufficient.  So, as long as your not using Windoze you can

1) shutdown LucidDB
2) mv db.dat /newlocation/db.dat
3) ln -s /newlocation/db.dat
4) Startup LucidDB.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this in a while; let us know if there's any issues with it.

Often (and I have no idea if this is the case for you) the db.dat is well beyond the size it actually should be due to unused and "yet to be deallocated" pages sitting around.  Make sure you keep doing "alter system deallocate old" regularly.

Re: Move db.dat

a_n_d_r_e_a
It works,
I don t have space problem, but the IT provaide in that machine some "fast" disk and I would try if the performance are better
Thanks Andrea