Quantcast

LucidDB on EC2

Vassil Kovatchev
Hello,

I am trying to setup LucidDB 0.9.1 on a large Amazon EC2 instance running Ubuntu Server 9.04 and connect to it with SQuirreL from a remote (Windows) host.
Setting up the server and connecting to it via sqllineClient running on the server was no problem. However, trying to connect SQuirreL from a remote machine fails.

I am getting either "java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out" or "java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host".
The Url I'm using in SQuirreL is of the form: jdbc:luciddb:rmi://ec2-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX.compute-1.amazonaws.com - this is the EC2 machine's public DNS Name. I am using the LucidDbClient.jar driver from the 0.9.1 distro.

Tests I did so far:
I dropped the entire firewall on EC2 (all ports open), I assigned a static "elastic" IP to the EC2 machine and I configured the /etc/hosts according to this article (using the public DNS name above and assigning it to the static "elastic" IP) - still no luck.
Monitoring the traffic on the client with WireShark reveals a lot of TCP hits on port 5434 (LucidDB's port), which is expected - I managed to telnet from the client machine to the server on port 5443 - no problem. It looks like it is not a firewall issue, maybe RMI?

So my question is, has anyone been able to setup a remote connection to LucidDB running on an EC2 machine with an elastic IP?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Vassil

Re: LucidDB on EC2

Nicholas Goodman
On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Vassil Kovatchev wrote:

> I am trying to setup LucidDB 0.9.1 on a large Amazon EC2 instance
> running Ubuntu Server 9.04 and connect to it with SQuirreL from a
> remote (Windows) host.

Vassil,

Can you try the 0.9.2 pre release binaries?  They use HTTP as their
JDBC connection protocol and I think you'll find this is a much easier
setup since EC2 does strange IP/Hostname w/ private/public in addition
to issues with RMI picking it's own fun ports dynamically.

http://perforce.eigenbase.org/download/

You'll need to open up port 8033 (via ec2 authorize or ElasticFox or
whatever you use) and use the LucidDbClient.jar (in SQuirrel) that
comes with the 0.9.2.

Re: LucidDB on EC2

Vassil Kovatchev
Thanks Nick, I figured it may have something to do with the identity
of the machine. As for RMI and its dynamic port allocation, I tried
forcing dispatch to a single port, but this did not help either - same
err message.
I'm currently in the process of loading data with sqllineClient
executed on the 0.9.1 server. Is there a db-porting procedure from
0.9.1 to 0.9.2?

Cheers,
Vassil

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2009, at 5:08 PM, Nicholas Goodman <[hidden email]
 > wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Vassil Kovatchev wrote:
>
>> I am trying to setup LucidDB 0.9.1 on a large Amazon EC2 instance
>> running Ubuntu Server 9.04 and connect to it with SQuirreL from a
>> remote (Windows) host.
>
> Vassil,
>
> Can you try the 0.9.2 pre release binaries?  They use HTTP as their
> JDBC connection protocol and I think you'll find this is a much
> easier setup since EC2 does strange IP/Hostname w/ private/public in
> addition to issues with RMI picking it's own fun ports dynamically.
>
> http://perforce.eigenbase.org/download/
>
> You'll need to open up port 8033 (via ec2 authorize or ElasticFox or
> whatever you use) and use the LucidDbClient.jar (in SQuirrel) that
> comes with the 0.9.2.
>
> Nick

Re: LucidDB on EC2

Alex Mekhrishvili
Vassil,

Please take a look at manual upgrade procedure's description:

Alexander

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Vassil Kovatchev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Nick, I figured it may have something to do with the identity
of the machine. As for RMI and its dynamic port allocation, I tried
forcing dispatch to a single port, but this did not help either - same
err message.
I'm currently in the process of loading data with sqllineClient
executed on the 0.9.1 server. Is there a db-porting procedure from
0.9.1 to 0.9.2?

Cheers,
Vassil

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2009, at 5:08 PM, Nicholas Goodman <[hidden email]
 > wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Vassil Kovatchev wrote:
>
>> I am trying to setup LucidDB 0.9.1 on a large Amazon EC2 instance
>> running Ubuntu Server 9.04 and connect to it with SQuirreL from a
>> remote (Windows) host.
>
> Vassil,
>
> Can you try the 0.9.2 pre release binaries?  They use HTTP as their
> JDBC connection protocol and I think you'll find this is a much
> easier setup since EC2 does strange IP/Hostname w/ private/public in
> addition to issues with RMI picking it's own fun ports dynamically.
>
> http://perforce.eigenbase.org/download/
>
> You'll need to open up port 8033 (via ec2 authorize or ElasticFox or
> whatever you use) and use the LucidDbClient.jar (in SQuirrel) that
> comes with the 0.9.2.
>
> Nick

Re: LucidDB on EC2

Vassil Kovatchev