LucidDB Variables and usability views

Francisco Reyes-3
Does Lucid has variables that one can query. In particular trying to get
current schema to create a view for tables in current schema.

For the userland usability schemas I was thinking we could have a "lc_"
prefix.

Some of the views I was thinking of.
lc_tables -> tables in current schema
lc_schemas -> list of all schemas
lc_views -> List of views in current schema
lc_users -> list of users
lc_sizes -> sizes of tables/indexes in curent schema
lc_schema_sizes -> space use by each schema

Not sure if all the above can easily be done, but thinking that these are
the type of views which would enhance usability.

Re: LucidDB Variables and usability views

Zelaine Fong
Regarding your question about variables, LucidDB has something called application variables, that do what I think you're looking for.  At http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbAppLib#Utility_Routines, take a look at the UDR's -- CREATE_VAR, DELETE_VAR, GET_VAR, SET_VAR.

-- Zelaine

Re: LucidDB Variables and usability views

There is a CURRENT_SCHEMA session variable, which you could use for this
purpose:

SELECT * FROM SYS_ROOT.DBA_TABLES WHERE SCHEMA_NAME=CURRENT_SCHEMA;

JVS

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Does Lucid has variables that one can query. In particular trying to get
> current schema to create a view for tables in current schema.
>

> For the userland usability schemas I was thinking we could have a "lc_"
> prefix.
>
> Some of the views I was thinking of.
> lc_tables -> tables in current schema
> lc_schemas -> list of all schemas
> lc_views -> List of views in current schema
> lc_users -> list of users
> lc_sizes -> sizes of tables/indexes in curent schema
> lc_schema_sizes -> space use by each schema
>
> Not sure if all the above can easily be done, but thinking that these are
> the type of views which would enhance usability.

Re: LucidDB Variables and usability views

Julian Hyde

> Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
> For the userland usability schemas I was thinking we could
> have a "lc_"
> prefix.

The LC_ prefix might be confusing to some. Postgres uses LC_ for all
variables related to locale, e.g. LC_COLLATE, LC_MESSAGES.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/charset.html#AEN18093

Julian

Julian Hyde writes:

> The LC_ prefix might be confusing to some. Postgres uses LC_ for all
> variables related to locale, e.g. LC_COLLATE, LC_MESSAGES.

A few more options then

ld_ = LucidDb

uv_ = User Views

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Julian Hyde writes:
>
>> The LC_ prefix might be confusing to some. Postgres uses LC_ for all
>> variables related to locale, e.g. LC_COLLATE, LC_MESSAGES.
>
> A few more options then
>
> ld_ = LucidDb
>
> uv_ = User Views

Oh, by the way, we don't currently have a "public synonym" concept, so
there's currently no way to define these in such a way that you could
access them as unqualified; i.e. you'd still need to do select * from
sys_root.uv_tables or whatever unless you SET SCHEMA to sys_root first.

John V. Sichi writes:

> there's currently no way to define these in such a way that you could
> access them as unqualified; i.e. you'd still need to do select * from
> sys_root.uv_tables or whatever unless you SET SCHEMA to sys_root first.

I thought perhaps Lucid could create them on each new schema.

Worst case we start something like Postgres contrib.. we give a directory of
"common views" that people may want to have and create a single .sql file
the user can run.

Ideally, at least for now, we could just create the views when the user does
"create schema".

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Worst case we start something like Postgres contrib.. we give a directory of
> "common views" that people may want to have and create a single .sql file
> the user can run.

I like this as a way to share snippets...I think just a wiki page that
people can copy and paste from could work for starters.

If the containing schema name is very short, then using it as a
qualifier avoids the need for public synonyms or other catalog clutter,
e.g. select * from lcv.tables.

John V. Sichi writes:

> I like this as a way to share snippets...I think just a wiki page that
> people can copy and paste from could work for starters.

Agree. Although long term would be nice if it is something people get by
default when they install Lucid.

> If the containing schema name is very short, then using it as a

Nice. So, we can just replace the "_" for the period and put all the views
in a single schema.