Introducing Dynamo BI

Hi all,

As a companion to the 0.9.2 release announcement, I'm also very happy to
share some news on an important development in the LucidDB ecosystem!

Nick Goodman was one of the earliest users on this mailing list, and has
been a very active participant ever since joining.  Recently, Nick spun
off from his consulting practice a new company called the Dynamo
Business Intelligence Corp, (aka Dynamo BI), with the intention to
provide a commercially supported distribution of LucidDB (as well as
acting as a new corporate sponsor for the project).

This is an offering which has been completely missing up until now, and
which I and others such as Julian Hyde believe to be essential for
accelerating adoption of LucidDB.  LucidEra provided much of the
critical development effort, but never offered commercial support on
LucidDB since that was not part of its software-as-a-service business
model.  Eigenbase provides community infrastructure and development
coordination, but a commercial offering is not part of its non-profit
charter.  So in the past, when individuals and companies have asked me
whom they should talk to in order to purchase support for LucidDB, I
have never had a good answer.

Now I do, and I couldn't be happier than to point them to Dynamo BI.

To avoid confusion, Dynamo BI's releases will be known as DynamoDB,
whereas the community releases we all know and love will continue
unchanged as LucidDB.  It's likely that DynamoDB will have lots of other
cool stuff packaged along with it to form a more complete BI solution;
Nick can say more about that.  However, I'd like to stress that
enhancements to the DBMS technology will continue to be made in LucidDB
itself (not some "Enterprise Edition" of DynamoDB).  The closest analogy
is probably "DynamoDB is to LucidDB as RedHat is to Fedora".

What is my relationship with Dynamo BI?  I've been helping Dynamo BI
getting started, and have also been working with Eigenbase to bring
Dynamo BI closer into the non-profit organization.  I will continue to
provide the consulting and advice needed to help make Dynamo BI a
success.  I'm actually about to start in a full-time position with
Facebook Engineering, so between that and personal life, my time will be
limited; however, my role in the LucidDB community continues, only now
with more help from the folks at Dynamo BI in driving the project forward.

In sum, you can probably tell that I see this as a very positive
development, and I hope you all do as well.  But if you have any
concerns about what this all means for LucidDB, please share them here
so we can discuss them.

Re: Introducing Dynamo BI

Alex Mekhrishvili
Great news!

I believe that this is essential step to make LucidDB well-known and
mature product and sustain its competitive advantages.

My congratulations to Nick & John!

Alexander

On 10/24/09, John V. Sichi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a companion to the 0.9.2 release announcement, I'm also very happy to
> share some news on an important development in the LucidDB ecosystem!
>
> Nick Goodman was one of the earliest users on this mailing list, and has
> been a very active participant ever since joining.  Recently, Nick spun
> off from his consulting practice a new company called the Dynamo
> Business Intelligence Corp, (aka Dynamo BI), with the intention to
> provide a commercially supported distribution of LucidDB (as well as
> acting as a new corporate sponsor for the project).
>
> This is an offering which has been completely missing up until now, and
> which I and others such as Julian Hyde believe to be essential for
> accelerating adoption of LucidDB.  LucidEra provided much of the
> critical development effort, but never offered commercial support on
> LucidDB since that was not part of its software-as-a-service business
> model.  Eigenbase provides community infrastructure and development
> coordination, but a commercial offering is not part of its non-profit
> charter.  So in the past, when individuals and companies have asked me
> whom they should talk to in order to purchase support for LucidDB, I
> have never had a good answer.
>
> Now I do, and I couldn't be happier than to point them to Dynamo BI.
>
> To avoid confusion, Dynamo BI's releases will be known as DynamoDB,
> whereas the community releases we all know and love will continue
> unchanged as LucidDB.  It's likely that DynamoDB will have lots of other
> cool stuff packaged along with it to form a more complete BI solution;
> Nick can say more about that.  However, I'd like to stress that
> enhancements to the DBMS technology will continue to be made in LucidDB
> itself (not some "Enterprise Edition" of DynamoDB).  The closest analogy
> is probably "DynamoDB is to LucidDB as RedHat is to Fedora".
>
> What is my relationship with Dynamo BI?  I've been helping Dynamo BI
> getting started, and have also been working with Eigenbase to bring
> Dynamo BI closer into the non-profit organization.  I will continue to
> provide the consulting and advice needed to help make Dynamo BI a
> success.  I'm actually about to start in a full-time position with
> Facebook Engineering, so between that and personal life, my time will be
> limited; however, my role in the LucidDB community continues, only now
> with more help from the folks at Dynamo BI in driving the project forward.
>
> In sum, you can probably tell that I see this as a very positive
> development, and I hope you all do as well.  But if you have any
> concerns about what this all means for LucidDB, please share them here
> so we can discuss them.
>
> JVS

Re: Introducing Dynamo BI

Pedro Alves-3

This is excellent news;

Having a company giving services on lucid, with a strategy where O-S
philosophy is unchanged gives a very big boost when it comes to confidence.

I'm sure that everyone that decided to put lucid in production had that
little fear "what if something goes wrong?". Having the chance of using the
services of DynamoBI eases the decision of moving forward with this choice.
Congrats Nick.

Also, good luck and congrats to JVS on this new adventure; you seem to be
in a very good team and hopefully you'll still have time to contribute with
lucid as you've been doing so far - great work

-pedro

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:51:15AM -0700, John V. Sichi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a companion to the 0.9.2 release announcement, I'm also very happy to
> share some news on an important development in the LucidDB ecosystem!
>
> Nick Goodman was one of the earliest users on this mailing list, and has
> been a very active participant ever since joining.  Recently, Nick spun
> off from his consulting practice a new company called the Dynamo
> Business Intelligence Corp, (aka Dynamo BI), with the intention to
> provide a commercially supported distribution of LucidDB (as well as
> acting as a new corporate sponsor for the project).
>
> This is an offering which has been completely missing up until now, and
> which I and others such as Julian Hyde believe to be essential for
> accelerating adoption of LucidDB.  LucidEra provided much of the
> critical development effort, but never offered commercial support on
> LucidDB since that was not part of its software-as-a-service business
> model.  Eigenbase provides community infrastructure and development
> coordination, but a commercial offering is not part of its non-profit
> charter.  So in the past, when individuals and companies have asked me
> whom they should talk to in order to purchase support for LucidDB, I
> have never had a good answer.
>
> Now I do, and I couldn't be happier than to point them to Dynamo BI.
>
> To avoid confusion, Dynamo BI's releases will be known as DynamoDB,
> whereas the community releases we all know and love will continue
> unchanged as LucidDB.  It's likely that DynamoDB will have lots of other
> cool stuff packaged along with it to form a more complete BI solution;
> Nick can say more about that.  However, I'd like to stress that
> enhancements to the DBMS technology will continue to be made in LucidDB
> itself (not some "Enterprise Edition" of DynamoDB).  The closest analogy
> is probably "DynamoDB is to LucidDB as RedHat is to Fedora".
>
> What is my relationship with Dynamo BI?  I've been helping Dynamo BI
> getting started, and have also been working with Eigenbase to bring
> Dynamo BI closer into the non-profit organization.  I will continue to
> provide the consulting and advice needed to help make Dynamo BI a
> success.  I'm actually about to start in a full-time position with
> Facebook Engineering, so between that and personal life, my time will be
> limited; however, my role in the LucidDB community continues, only now
> with more help from the folks at Dynamo BI in driving the project forward.
>
> In sum, you can probably tell that I see this as a very positive
> development, and I hope you all do as well.  But if you have any
> concerns about what this all means for LucidDB, please share them here
> so we can discuss them.
>
> JVS

Pedro Alves
pmgalves-at-gmail.com

Re: Introducing Dynamo BI

Nicholas Goodman
Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words.  I too, believe
that a commercial support offering on the project will benefit
everyone, and definitely those on this list!

I've blogged a bit about the news:
http://www.nicholasgoodman.com/bt/blog/2009/10/24/luciddb-dynamobi-is-running-with-it/

On Oct 24, 2009, at 12:51 AM, John V. Sichi wrote:

> off from his consulting practice a new company called the Dynamo
> Business Intelligence Corp, (aka Dynamo BI), with the intention to
> provide a commercially supported distribution of LucidDB (as well as
> acting as a new corporate sponsor for the project).
We're taking an "early and often" approach to the business as well.
For instance, we have the bare minimum of a website (even though our
marketing firm is working feverishly on it).  We'll share (and welcome
feedback and suggestions) on this list as we begin to roll out parts
of our business.

> To avoid confusion, Dynamo BI's releases will be known as DynamoDB,
Just to reiterate what JVS said: development of LucidDB will continue
as it does today with the exception that principals from DynamoBI will
be more involved in LucidDB.  Suffice to say you'll see an increase in
total production as we ramp up our investment in the project.  Our new
projects (Administration UI, Web Services API, etc) source will be
available under an OSI license.  If they aren't core to Eigenbase
projects they'll live as separate projects but our intent is to offer/
collaborate as much as possible @ Eigenbase.

Very exciting, and don't hesitate to be in touch.  Also, we're
planning a very special offer to companies who were on this list prior
to the announcement.  Hint: It's a special parsing on the numeric 2010.

Re: Introducing Dynamo BI

Pedro Alves wrote:
> Also, good luck and congrats to JVS on this new adventure; you seem to be
> in a very good team and hopefully you'll still have time to contribute with
> lucid as you've been doing so far - great work

Thanks Pedro.  Since I may end up working on/near Hive/Hadoop, I'm
hoping to eventually be able to do some cross-fertilization between
Eigenbase and those projects as I learn their internals better.
In-database map/reduce (or HadoopDB integration) for LucidDB anyone?  ;)