HTTP vs RMI throughput comparisons

I ran some tests fetching lots of rows back through a cursor to compare
the two protocols.  RMI does come out noticeably faster; times below are
in seconds for a million rows of two columns, for four different runs in
a row.  (For the first run, the server is reading the table from disk
into cache.)

RMI:  20, 11, 11, 11
HTTP:  25, 15, 14, 13

The test was run with client and server both on the same machine; I did
not test a distributed configuration.

Since in most cases, LucidDB result sets are small, I'm not going to
worry about this too much, although for something like fetching a large
result set into Mondrian cache, this could make a difference.

While testing with much bigger tables, I did notice reliability problems
with both RMI and HTTP; after a few runs of the test, the server would
start to fail (either dying for RMI, or failing to receive commands from
the client for HTTP).  The RMI failures were reported in the past by
Khanh Vu as well.  I don't know whether this is a problem with VJDBC or
the underlying Java network support (I've seen similar JVM bugs reported).

Example code for the testcase is below.

JVS

import java.sql.*;

public class Test
{
     public static void main(String [] args)
         throws Exception
     {
         Class.forName("org.luciddb.jdbc.LucidDbClientDriver");
         Connection c =
             DriverManager.getConnection(
                 "jdbc:luciddb:http://localhost:8033", "sa", "");
         Statement s = c.createStatement();
         ResultSet r = s.executeQuery("select x,y from bigtable");
         while (r.next()) {
         }
         c.close();
     }
}

Re: HTTP vs RMI throughput comparisons

Francisco Reyes-3
John V. Sichi writes:

> I ran some tests fetching lots of rows back through a cursor to compare

So the test was basically transaction throughput for small queries?

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> John V. Sichi writes:
>
>> I ran some tests fetching lots of rows back through a cursor to compare
>
> So the test was basically transaction throughput for small queries?

No, it was row throughput for large queries (e.g. 11 seconds to fetch 1
million rows from the same cursor).  Also, I was only running a single
client at a time.