Fastbit

OG

Fastbit

OG
Hello,

I see LucidDB uses bitmap indexing.  Does it use Fastbit ( https://sdm.lbl.gov/fastbit/ ) by any chance? (it's LGPL)

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Fastbit

Nicholas Goodman

On Dec 17, 2009, at 3:43 AM, OG wrote:

> I see LucidDB uses bitmap indexing.  Does it use Fastbit ( https://sdm.lbl.gov/fastbit/
>  ) by any chance? (it's LGPL)

Otis - LucidDB does not use Fastbit, it uses Bitmap IDXing code built
specifically for column store values.  The code has a distinguished
lineage having been adapted from Broadbase into the Eigenbase
framework.  I see no reason why Fastbit couldn't be used but I don't
imagine we'd obtain results in excess in our efforts in making a change.

What's your interest in the Fastbit?  Is it a fundamentally different
algorithm than LucidDBs bitmap implementation?  I'm interested...

OG

Re: Fastbit

OG
I am not super familiar with Fastbit, so I can't answer Nick's question, but there are some big claims on https://sdm.lbl.gov/fastbit/ .

 Otis

> > I see LucidDB uses bitmap indexing.  Does it use Fastbit (
> https://sdm.lbl.gov/fastbit/ ) by any chance? (it's LGPL)
>
> Otis - LucidDB does not use Fastbit, it uses Bitmap IDXing code built
> specifically for column store values.  The code has a distinguished lineage
> having been adapted from Broadbase into the Eigenbase framework.  I see no
> reason why Fastbit couldn't be used but I don't imagine we'd obtain results in
> excess in our efforts in making a change.
>
> What's your interest in the Fastbit?  Is it a fundamentally different algorithm
> than LucidDBs bitmap implementation?  I'm interested...
>
> Nick

Re: Fastbit

It would be interesting to see if someone could start from the Eigenbase
framework on which LucidDB is based, and then plug in FastBit to give it
SQL processing capabilities.

JVS