Quantcast

Embedded LucidDB, distrbuted servers and locked catalog

Embedded LucidDB, distrbuted servers and locked catalog

Oded Peer
Hi,

I read the LucidDbAsManagedBean wiki page and enabled my version of that.
When I use LucidDB embedded then I encounter locked catalog problems, meaning I can only run a single app server against a LucidDB installation, any other server that I try to run fails to load the DB since it fails to lock the catalog.

I was wondering what are your recommendations for using LucidDB in a distributed environment.

Thanks,
Oded

Re: Embedded LucidDB, distrbuted servers and locked catalog

ngoodman

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:42 AM, oded peer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I read the LucidDbAsManagedBean wiki page and enabled my version of that.
When I use LucidDB embedded then I encounter locked catalog problems, meaning I can only run a single app server against a LucidDB installation, any other server that I try to run fails to load the DB since it fails to lock the catalog.

I was wondering what are your recommendations for using LucidDB in a distributed environment.

Oded,

The managed bean, or engine approach or even the regular server approach all require that a single database process is connected and managing the catalog, database.  The bean / standalone server allow for serving multiple clients, but only a single server process can have a catalog/db.dat open.

I'd suggest you use either
- the standalone server, and connect your web applications to it using the HTTP or RMI drivers
- use managed bean, and use in JVM calls for other clients inside the engine JDBC driver for luciddb (org.luciddb.jdbc.LucidDbLocalDriver)
- use managed bean, and configure the VJDBC proxy (like we've done in standalone server) to serve up other clients.

Hope that helps - you can definitely serve up multiple clients with a single LucidDB server so I think it's just narrowing in on how to to deploy it.

Kind Regards,

Re: Embedded LucidDB, distrbuted servers and locked catalog

Oded Peer
Nicholas Goodman-2 wrote
- use managed bean, and use in JVM calls for other clients inside the engine JDBC driver for luciddb (org.luciddb.jdbc.LucidDbLocalDriver)
I didn't understand what you are suggesting here.
Can you please clarify?

Nicholas Goodman-2 wrote
- use managed bean, and configure the VJDBC proxy (like we've done in standalone server) to serve up other clients.
I just want to verify: if I choose to use LucidDB as a managed service and I have 3 app servers in a cluster, then I need to start the service only on one server (let's call it master), and configure the VDJBC proxy for it.
I can then use the local driver from applications on the "master" server, but all the other applications on all the other servers in the cluster need VJDBC calls.
Is this correct?

Thanks for the response,
Oded

Oded Peer wrote:
> I just want to verify: if I choose to use LucidDB as a managed service and I
> have 3 app servers in a cluster, then I need to start the service only on
> one server (let's call it master), and configure the VDJBC proxy for it.
> I can then use the local driver from applications on the "master" server,
> but all the other applications on all the other servers in the cluster need
> VJDBC calls.
> Is this correct?

That's right.