Quantcast

Clear buffers

Michael
Hi all,

  Is there someway we could clear the buffers in LucidDB?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Clear buffers

The guaranteed way is to restart the server.  LucidDB uses direct I/O,
so nothing is cached by the OS (although of course lower-level caching
such as disk controller can always be present).

If you want to avoid restarting the server, you can change system
parameter "cachePagesInit" to a low number (like 20) and then set it
back to its original setting. However, this is dangerous, since if you
go too low, you can end up with an unusable system.  And for any
non-zero value, those last few buffers (e.g. 20*32K) won't be
discarded.  So bouncing the server is a lot safer and guaranteed.

http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbBufferPoolSizing

JVS

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  Is there someway we could clear the buffers in LucidDB?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: Clear buffers

I'm curious what your thought process is on this.  I'm trying to determine what the benefit of doing this would be.  I can only think that you're trying to work around a bug but I don't know of any open issues in this regard.

Nick

On Jan 20, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  Is there someway we could clear the buffers in LucidDB?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: Clear buffers

It's useful for benchmarking.