Calling applib from catalog

Eric Freed
Hi,

I am trying to call APPLIB.CREATE_TABLE_AS from a new catalog, but I am getting an error. I created a catalog:

create catalog DEMO;
set catalog 'DEMO';

CALL LOCALDB.APPLIB.CREATE_TABLE_AS( 'SAMPLE_DATA', 'CUSTOMERS', 'select * from FILE_DUMP_SCHEMA.CUSTOMERS', true );

here is the error:
Error: From line 1, column 22 to line 1, column 40: Table 'SYS_ROOT.DBA_TABLES' not found

I guess that the applib is imported into LOCALDB, and cannot be called from another catalog. Can I import APPLIB into the new catalog?

Re: Calling applib from catalog

Kevin Secretan
Hey Eric.

Yeah, many of the Applib extensions aren't coded properly to handle cross-catalog communication. In this case, the "SYS_ROOT.DBA_TABLES" string was hardcoded into the source without the proper "LOCALDB" catalog prefix, so even if you loaded the jar in a separate catalog/schema it would still fail--you'd have to load the SYS_ROOT schema into the separate catalog.

I just committed a change set so this will be fixed in 0.9.4, though I also uploaded a local build to http://shared.nincheats.net/misc/eigenbase-applib.jar that I'll keep around for a few days (You can just overwrite the existing eigenbase-applib.jar in your plugin directory and after restarting the LucidDB server your query should just work.)

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Eric Freed <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to call APPLIB.CREATE_TABLE_AS from a new catalog, but I am getting an error. I created a catalog:

create catalog DEMO;
set catalog 'DEMO';

CALL LOCALDB.APPLIB.CREATE_TABLE_AS( 'SAMPLE_DATA', 'CUSTOMERS', 'select * from FILE_DUMP_SCHEMA.CUSTOMERS', true );

here is the error:
Error: From line 1, column 22 to line 1, column 40: Table 'SYS_ROOT.DBA_TABLES' not found

I guess that the applib is imported into LOCALDB, and cannot be called from another catalog. Can I import APPLIB into the new catalog?

Re: Calling applib from catalog

ngoodman
Nice work Kevin!

On May 2, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Kevin Secretan wrote:

> Yeah, many of the Applib extensions aren't coded properly to handle cross-catalog communication. In this case, the "SYS_ROOT.DBA_TABLES" string was hardcoded into the source without the proper "LOCALDB" catalog prefix, so even if you loaded the jar in a separate catalog/schema it would still fail--you'd have to load the SYS_ROOT schema into the separate catalog.

I've added a jira task (http://jira.eigenbase.org/browse/EXT-5) to review/fix this for the rest of APPLIB.

Nick
PS - This should be a relatively straight forward task that would make for a great "first contribution" for anyone who wants to.  :)  If anyone has been lurking, and would be interested in becoming a contributor this would be a great one to start with!