0.9.2 to 0.9.3 Upgrade

Jeremy Lemaire
Closely following the LucidDbUpgrade procedure I attempted to upgrade from 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 but got the following error when executing the install/catalog.sql:

502/1022     alter system set "deviceSchedulerType" = 'aioLinux';
No rows affected (0.024 seconds)
503/1022     -- $Id: //open/dev/luciddb/initsql/installApplib.sql#38 $
504/1022     create or replace schema localdb.applib;
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: null (state=,code=0)
java.sql.SQLException: java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at de.simplicit.vjdbc.util.SQLExceptionHelper.wrapSQLException(SQLExceptionHelper.java:47)
        at de.simplicit.vjdbc.util.SQLExceptionHelper.wrap(SQLExceptionHelper.java:28)
        at de.simplicit.vjdbc.server.command.CommandProcessor.process(CommandProcessor.java:166)
        at net.sf.farrago.server.FarragoServletCommandSink.handleRequest(FarragoServletCommandSink.java:125)
        at net.sf.farrago.server.FarragoServletCommandSink.doPost(FarragoServletCommandSink.java:91)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:530)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:427)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:933)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:362)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:867)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:113)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:559)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:1007)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:747)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:209)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:406)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:462)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:436)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Aborting command set because "force" is false and command failed: "create or replace schema localdb.applib;"

I noticed a note in the procedure stating that there was an issue with the applib.jar when upgrading from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4 but nothing pertinent to this upgrade.  Any thoughts?

Re: 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 Upgrade

Jeremy Lemaire
Here is a little more info from the Trace.log:

Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSession prepare
INFO: "TS" + CAST(CAST("N" AS BIGINT) * 60 * 60 * 1000 AS INTERVAL DAY(10) TO HOUR)
Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException <init>
SEVERE: org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException: Cast function cannot convert value of type BIGINT to type INTERVAL DAY(10) TO HOUR
Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException <init>
SEVERE: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseContextException: From line 1, column 8 to line 1, column 77
Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException <init>
SEVERE: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException: Invalid definition for routine "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"
Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.ddl.DdlValidator validate
INFO: Revalidate exception on ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException:  Invalid definition for routine "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"; java.lang.NullPointerException:  null
Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSession rollbackImpl
INFO: rollback
Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.jdbc.FarragoJdbcUtil newSqlException
SEVERE: Invalid definition for routine "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"
Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.jdbc.FarragoJdbcUtil newSqlException
SEVERE: null

Re: 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 Upgrade

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for reporting this.  I don't think we tested out the upgrade
procedure for the last release, so maybe there was a glitch; if so,
it's usually possible to come up with a patch to the catalog.sql
script.

JVS

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Jeremy Lemaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a little more info from the Trace.log:
>
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSession prepare
> INFO: "TS" + CAST(CAST("N" AS BIGINT) * 60 * 60 * 1000 AS INTERVAL DAY(10)
> TO HOUR)
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException
> <init>
> SEVERE: org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException: Cast function
> cannot convert value of type BIGINT to type INTERVAL DAY(10) TO HOUR
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException <init>
> SEVERE: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseContextException: From line 1, column 8
> to line 1, column 77
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException <init>
> SEVERE: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException: Invalid definition for
> routine "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.ddl.DdlValidator validate
> INFO: Revalidate exception on ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP:
> org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException:  Invalid definition for routine
> "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"; java.lang.NullPointerException:  null
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSession rollbackImpl
> INFO: rollback
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.jdbc.FarragoJdbcUtil newSqlException
> SEVERE: Invalid definition for routine "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"
> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.jdbc.FarragoJdbcUtil newSqlException
> SEVERE: null

Re: 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 Upgrade

I reproduced this one; it has to do with some changes with the (still
in-progress) implementation for interval types.  LucidDB 0.9.3
attempts to revalidate the original (0.9.2) applib definition before
replacing it with the new one, leading to this failure.

The workaround is to do this before running catalog.sql:

drop specific function applib.add_hours_timestamp;

Assuming you haven't referenced it in a view or other routine, this
should work, and then when you run catalog.sql, it will add in the new
version.

JVS

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM, John Sichi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for reporting this.  I don't think we tested out the upgrade
> procedure for the last release, so maybe there was a glitch; if so,
> it's usually possible to come up with a patch to the catalog.sql
> script.
>
> JVS
>
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Jeremy Lemaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here is a little more info from the Trace.log:
>>
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSession prepare
>> INFO: "TS" + CAST(CAST("N" AS BIGINT) * 60 * 60 * 1000 AS INTERVAL DAY(10)
>> TO HOUR)
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException
>> <init>
>> SEVERE: org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException: Cast function
>> cannot convert value of type BIGINT to type INTERVAL DAY(10) TO HOUR
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException <init>
>> SEVERE: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseContextException: From line 1, column 8
>> to line 1, column 77
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException <init>
>> SEVERE: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException: Invalid definition for
>> routine "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.ddl.DdlValidator validate
>> INFO: Revalidate exception on ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP:
>> org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException:  Invalid definition for routine
>> "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"; java.lang.NullPointerException:  null
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.db.FarragoDbSession rollbackImpl
>> INFO: rollback
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.jdbc.FarragoJdbcUtil newSqlException
>> SEVERE: Invalid definition for routine "APPLIB"."ADD_HOURS_TIMESTAMP"
>> Feb 25, 2011 3:22:50 PM net.sf.farrago.jdbc.FarragoJdbcUtil newSqlException
>> SEVERE: null

Re: 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 Upgrade

ngoodman
If you are still having issues with this (as you alluded to in another email) can you

a) Post the error messages you are now getting, having done JVS's suggested workaround
or
b) Reproduce the issue, and log an issue at jira.eigenbase.org